Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A Day in the Life of an Expat in Dubai

"Dad", came the familiar refrain. It was my daughter, back from school on a cool, lazy afternoon. The cool, lazy afternoons are a rare commodity in Dubai, U.A.E. You see, I am one of those fortunate men who work what are termed 'straight shifts' As a result, I have the time and inclination to enjoy a cool, lazy afternoon. It is besides the point that a couple of energetic kids always returning from school interrupt what could possibly be such c.l.a's.

"I need your help to complete a project on Common Causes of Pollution of Environment by Humans ," she said looking at me hopefully. The prestigious school that she is enrolled in strongly believes in inculcating a sense of responsibility in its students and thus frequently entrust such onerous tasks disrupting peace on earth and goodwill towards men. Evidently, I had no hope of evading this one.

"Actually, we were given this topic last week & the last date of submission is tomorrow," she continued cheerily. "I'll leave all the things that you might need and then proceed for my swimming class," she concluded. My wife gave me an encouraging look, a cheery wave and vanished with daughter in hand.

The completion of the project per se was not so daunting. The ubiquitious net for moral support would ensuretha I finish it in no time and yet complete that elusive nap. Armed with a pencil and paper, I began to conscientiously note what I thought were common causes to pollution of the environment. When it took shape, it read thus -

"Pollution caused by inhuman behaviour"
1. Use of Plastic Bags -
2. Using motorised transport for short distances
3. Smoking

Illustrating each of the above with support from the net was not exhausting. In the process, some long forgotten facts were refreshed. Various officical earth watch sites on the net reported that the three R principle of reduce, reuse and recycle was not being used by the world populace. This aspect is quite unheard of especially in Dubai leading to rampant use of bags given generously by the friendly supermarkets. The site also went on to inform that plastic waste blocks drains and gutters, stopping the flow of rain water and sewerage & causes overflow. This then becomes a breeding ground for germs and bacteria. However, due to the non existence of such reasonably well informed beings, plastic bags are often burnt as a means to dispose. The toxic smoke produced while burning plastic kills thousands each year.

Plastic bags that fly and land in agricultural land retard the growth of the crops by wrapping itself around the plants. One frequently sees wonderful buidlings, electric poles, fences decorated with various plastic bags. While most find them unsightly, many find the flapping an interesting sight.

The site warned that plastic waste that lying on the soil for long stop the passage of oxygen causing soil infertility.

Being technically qualified, I knew as a fact that emissions from cars are greatest when an engine is cold. This was supported by the Environmental Watch Agency that the first few minutes when one starts up and then drives, cars produce highest emissions because the emissions control equipment have not yet reached their optimal operating temperature. EWA also prophesied that on a cold day a petrol car may take up to 10km to warm up and operate at maximum efficiency. Other the benefits on personal health, walking as an alternative to such travels, reduces environmental travails.

The health hazards associated with smoking are too well knownto be further expounded. I learnt via A combination of what a smoker breathes out and the smoke that streams off from the burning end of a cigarette, pipe or cigar is now known to contain as many as 4,000 chemicals (including carbon monoxide, cyanide and ammonia), at least 40 of which are linked to cancer and many of them are strong irritants. The health hazards associated with smoking are too well known to be further expounded.
End...
Such journalistic pieces take its mental toll & engrossed as I was in it's composition, I had forgotten to replenish the groceries. It iwas time to earn a well deserved break. I stepped out into the cool air and into my macho 4x4 to the nearby grocery store which, incidentally is situated just about 1 km from my home. I pottered around the store and collected week's quota. At the counter, I overheard the woman ahead of me saying to her daughter, "Darling, no chocolates, they are bad for your teeth,". and proceeded to order cigarettes. Sharp that I was, the irony was not lost!
Lost at observing this encounter, I noticed that the counter clerk had packed all my items into a solitary bag. I berated him for being stupid & asked for each item to be segeregated and exited teh store with 11 different plastic bags. Having thus made my presence felt, I puffed contentedly at my well earned cigarette.

No comments: